Search This Blog

Thursday, June 12, 2014

This is another post from a previous AT journal.  I planned and was completely prepared to walk the AT in March of 2014 but I chose to drink myself into oblivion instead.  Went back into treatment and am hanging out in a halfway house in South Florida.  I will travel to Texas in early Spring 2015 to pick up my equipment, meet with my Trail Boss, and catch a bus to Gainesville, GA.  I will arrive at the Hiker Hostel on March 15 and begin walking on the 16th.

Late summer of 2013 I wrote...

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Today, I went to my storage unit and pulled all the camping and hiking gear and brought it back to the apartment.  I open each box and bag and placed each piece of gear on my made bed for photographic purposed.  I had to get a handle on what I had and didn’t have.  As I took the photos, I got close enough to a batch of items so while viewing the pictures I could identify each item.  When removing the items I put them in three distinct piles.  One was for the items I absolutely would not take on my hike.  The second pile were the items I would place in my “drop box.”  The third pile were the items I would wear or pack during the trail on “day one” of my hike.  Each pile included the “maybe’s” and “not sure’s.”  As D1 approached, I would make decisions on these items and move them to a different pile or keep them in that pile.

Over the years I had accumulated of loads of hiking gear and much of it was new and unused (buying shit you don’t need…a drinking and thinking problem).  I’ve read loads of information on ultralight packing and it wasn’t difficult to put together a list of what to wear, carry or drop (or bounce) while on the AT hike.  When reading online info and books about planning and preparing for the AT, I already knew a lot and also learned a lot but didn’t struggle with the choice and preparation of gear.  I guess someone who hasn’t been into the hiking thing might find this process difficult but that was not my experience.  I’m thankful I had collected my gear over the years.  There is no way I could ever afford to buy it now with my income.  I’m guessing it would cost a couple of grand to get ready for this long hike.





No comments:

Post a Comment